Pages


Friday, June 4, 2010

When in Rome, do as the Romans do…




The other day I read an article : “Indian,anyone” in The Hindu magazine about Indian dresses becoming more like a costume… How true … One hardly sees youngsters wearing a dhoti or other traditional wear.. I agree, clothes are more about comfort than anything else..But I don’t think people try to squeeze themselves in uber tight jeans for comfort…

Everyone’s trying to fit into the so called “modern ” era by wearing western clothes… Rather than doing that let’s be modern in our thinking and ways…While India always boasts of having a unique culture, here we are trying to copy some westerners and gradually losing our identity in the process…

Okay I do wear western clothes but I don’t ignore our traditional dresses nor do I smirk at those wearing a Salwar or saree.., I’ve seen many people doing the latter..People wearing traditional Indian clothes are branded snobs, ‘pazham’(you what this is of you are a tamil), etc…, Believe it or not this is the gritty truth..

Anyway, the point is next time you go to a party or a function trying wearing Indian clothes.. They’re cool too, you know….

No comments:

Post a Comment